This article has been brought to you by Slough Borough Council's Workforce Development Co-ordinator, Hazel Thorpe, for the attention of all Early Years settings.
Early Years Pedagogy and Practice Forum
Ofsted has appointed a range of experts and professionals from universities, schools and pre-schools, to join its new Early Years Pedagogy and Practice Forum. You can read more about this by clicking here.
When they meet for the first time next month, the forum members will talk about early years research and practice, and consider, for example, how young children get a love of reading, learn about numbers and develop their physical skills. The forum will also help to shape Ofsted’s research programme. The first focus for discussion will be the teaching and inspection of physical development, early literacy and maths.
Official statistics: childcare providers and inspections as at 31 March 2018
Ofsted recently updated a small amount of data relating to this report but the original findings remain the same:
- The number of childminders registered with Ofsted has continued to decrease
- The number of non-domestic providers has increased slightly.
- More than 9 in 10 providers on the Early Years Register were judged to be good or outstanding.
- The proportion of childminders judged to be good or outstanding is nearing that of non-domestic providers.
To read in more detail please click on either of the following links:
- Official Statistics | Childcare providers and inspections as at 31st March 2018
- Official Statistics | Childcare providers and inspections as at 31st March 2018: Main findings
Childminder pre registration information
A recent update to the Ofsted pre registration information for childminders is designed to clarify the DBS requirements at the point of registration. It states:
Ofsted strongly recommends joining the DBS Update Service (£13/year) to keep your details up to date. You must sign up within 30 days of your certificate being issued.
If you’re not on the DBS Update service, we cannot accept:
- Ofsted DBS checks older than 3 months
- DBS checks obtained via a different organisation
If you require further information about childminder registration in Slough please contact firstname.lastname@example.org