SENDCO Support for Schools
Slough Borough Council have successfully recruited a SENDCO School Effectiveness Officer. This post was created to support, up-skill and develop SENDCos at schools and to develop a SENDCo Network forum for all Slough Schools.
This member of staff will be responsible for developing a SENDCo forum within Slough, which will provide thematic training and development opportunities.
The role of the SENDCO Effectiveness Officer is to also support school SENDCOs in providing the appropriate information that will be considered at SEND panel for their students.
There is an expectation that that the development opportunities that are offered to schools will further help to promote the notion of inclusion within all settings in Slough.
Contact Deborah Bowers - Deborah.Bowers@slough.gov.uk.
The role of the Slough SENDCo Network is to help schools to provide the best possible inclusive provision for their SEND pupils by;
- sharing and promoting good evidence based practice from both local and national sources
- offering good quality training and information eventsv
- sign posting to further information sources, agencies, publications and government guidance
The Slough SENDCo Network was launched in January 2018 by Deborah Bowers (Education, Standards and Effectiveness Officer SEND)
Our half termly meetings are well attended by SENDCos from Slough Schools, representatives from Parent Support Groups, Educational Psychologists from Slough’s Integrated Support Services and many other professionals and representatives from agencies associated with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
The topics covered focus on a wide variety of aspects across the landscape of SEND and are a great opportunity to develop collaborative working practices. An annual programme of training and professional development (CPD) includes presentations from Social Care, Health and SEND professionals.
SENDCos and other professionals are also encouraged to suggest areas for training and may be asked to deliver a presentation to promote their own examples of good practice.
SENDCo Network Training Meetings
These half termly sessions have been developed in consultation with Slough SENDCos and in response to both local and national priorities. They have been designed to provide good quality training and information for school SENDCos and others with a responsibility for SEND working in all phases and types of setting.
They offer professionals opportunities to connect with other SENDCos, share ideas, practice, problems and solutions.
Training will be delivered over 2 hours by a range of SEND professionals. At each session, delegates will have the opportunity to ask questions and some will be invited beforehand to prepare a short presentation to share their own practice with others.
Topics for this academic year include;
- EHCP requests– paperwork, process and practice
- How do you do an Annual Review?
- Graduated Response Workshop 1- Provision at SEN Support (K)
- Graduated Response Workshop 2- Provision and the EHCP
- Moving on up- the importance of preparing for both internal and external transitions
- Communication and Interaction–SALT and ASD- policy, provision and practice
- Cognition and Learning- Dyslexia, Down Syndrome and Global Development Delay- policy, provision and practice
- Sensory and/or Physical- policy, provision and practice
- Social Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties- policy, provision and practice
If you would like to;
- provide the best possible inclusive provision for your SEND pupils
- share and learn about good evidence based practice from both local and national sources
- be sign posted to further information sources, agencies, publications and government guidance
then please go the Events and Training page.