This article has been brought to you by Slough Borough Council's Public Health Senior Programme Officer, Timothy Howells, for the attention of Schools and Early Years settings.
As you’ve probably noticed the temperature has taken a sudden downward trend and there is now a level 2 severe winter weather alert being issued.
There is a 60% probability of severe cold weather between 0600 on Tuesday 03 Dec and 0900 on Thursday 05 Dec in South East England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services.
Please find attached the relevant guidance for you and your teams/staff to take. Please note that this covers:
- Adult Social Care
- Care homes/dom care providers
- Voluntary sector groups including older people networks
- Carers and learning disability teams
Please ensure your plans are actioned and that you are referencing the snow and ice warnings in your communications and using the key messages in NHS cold weather plan around looking after vulnerable people. (See attached).
Please also find attached the following useful documents;
- Public Health cold weather messages – Hints and tips
- Winter readiness in care homes
- Cold weather messages for carers of young children
- Winter readiness for schools and early years settings
- Age UK – Keeping warm this winter guide