This article has been brought to you by Slough Borough Council's Early Years Service, for the attention of all Early Years providers.
To support the inclusion of children aged 3 & 4 years old with low level/emerging special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) who attend registered early years provision.
Slough Early Years Service recognise that, despite the best efforts of providers to meet the needs of children with SEND, occasionally settings will need to implement strategies that are additional to or different from their typical provision. Therefore, the Early Years Service manages a small budget to enable Early Years providers to cater for the support needs of children aged 3 & 4 years old where additional care or resources are required at additional cost.
The grant is intended to be used as a contribution towards providing additional resources and support for children with low level/emerging SEND where a provider is unable to meet the costs from their own funds, and is not necessarily expected to cover full costs or long term staffing costs.
Examples of what grants have been awarded:
- Childminder: Sensory equipment including a specialist chair to support a child to self regulate whilst out at a weekly group - £749.63
- Nursery School: Manual handling training £200.00
- Preschool: Walking frame to use at the preschool, as only one was supplied for the child to use at home and the parent didn’t drive - £1248.30
- Nursery class in a school: Resources to support the sensory needs of a child, as advised by an ASD specialist - £384.70
- Preschool: Funds were provided as a contribution towards a nappy changing unit with stairs to support a number of children with additional needs - £1560.00
- Three small preschools: A group of preschools joined together to apply for funding to have inset training on ADS for their whole staff team - £608.00
- Childminder: Resources to support a child with a speech and language delay - £260.43
- Nursery class in a school: Story and rhyme bags for children with communication and language needs, which they can take home and share with their parents and carers - £610.00
- Childminder: A three seater pushchair, to facilitate outings for a child who needs to sit on his own and not directly next to other children. Resources to support the child’s interests whilst outdoors - £1187.93
- Childminder: Resources and equipment to support a child with fine and gross motor skills - £1341.00
- Day nursery: Makaton training and resources £2754.52
When considering making an application the Senior Area SENDCo and SEND Support Officer can offer direct support when making an application and can offer specific advice on resources and strategies for particular children or small groups of children which will enhance the evidence submitted in the application
To make an application please visit https://thelink.slough.gov.uk/la-services/early-years-and-development/early-years-inclusion