Tax Free Childcare

This article has been brought to you by Slough Borough Council's Early Years and Prevention, Childcare Development Co-ordinator, Clare Thompson, for the attention of Early Years Providers, PVI Settings, Schools with Nursery Classes, Tuition Centres and Out of School Providers.

Do you have parents who would like to pay for early years and childcare provision using Tax-Free Childcare? Once you have registered for a tax free childcare account you can set up your bank account details and receive payments from parents.

Parents can use Tax-Free Childcare to pay for nursery provision, breakfast club, afterschool club and holiday playschemes run by private providers, schools and tuition centres.

To sign up you should be the main contact for your business. You’ll be able to set up a ‘delegate’ to manage your account for you during the process.

You’ll need your:

  • 11-digit user ID from your invitation letter – if you didn’t get one or have lost it, contact the helpline,
  • bank account details,
  • 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), if you’re registered for Self Assessment or Corporation Tax,
  • National Insurance number, if you’re directly employed, for example as a nanny.

If you’re a school run by a local authority, you should contact their finance team to find out their UTR and postcode and use that to sign up.

If your business is owned by another company, use their UTR and postcode to sign up.