The Slough secondary school PSHE network was set up in response to a request from Slough Youth Parliament to try and bring a more co-ordinated approach to PSHE across the Slough schools, particularly in the face of upcoming changes to the curriculum in the area of Relationships and Sex Education.
Slough Association of Secondary Heads have asked Daniel Mace from Langley Grammar and Tom Shepheard from Wexham to take the lead on a Slough PSHE network, together with Giovanni Ferri from Slough Borough Councils Young People’s Service.
The first meeting of the network took place in January 2018, when a number of subject leaders and deputy head teachers met representatives of Slough Youth Parliament at Herschel Grammar and discussed setting up the network as well as a range of specific questions that were submitted to the governments’ review of Relationships and Sex Education. The network also agreed for:
- All the co-ordinators and leaders to meet once each term,
- To audit our current provision across all the schools and use that information to start moving towards creating sort of ‘core content’ with a common set of timings and themes,
- To create a network that shares ideas / teaching resources / co-ordinates cross-school events.
The second meeting of the network took place in May 2018 at Langley Grammar. We used the results of the audit to move forward with creating an aligned curriculum, with a draft to be produced. We decided that perhaps we just aim for a very small amount of aligned content and gradually use the Slough Network meetings to move things around and bring them in alignment as we go, for example this could include the healthy choices programme (from Lime Engage) being rolled out for Year 7’s from September 2018.
Next Network Meeting
Thursday 4th October 2018 - 2pm at Wexham School
If you would like to know more about the work of the network, who is represented from your school or if you would like to attend the next meeting on 4th October, please contact Giovanni Ferri by emailing Giovanni.Ferri@slough.gov.uk or alternatively call on 01753 875510.
Primary and Secondary Schools
- Subject(s) Anti-bullying, Relationships and Sex Education, Safety (including Physical and Online Safety)
- Subject(s) Anti-bullying, Drugs, Alcohol and Tobacco Education, Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health, Healthy Lifestyles, Media & Digital Literacy Relationships and Sex Education, Safety (including Physical and Online Safety)
- Subject(s) Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health, Healthy Lifestyles
- Subject (s) Safety, Knife Free