This article has been brought to you by Slough Borough Council's Service Lead for Schools, Johnny Kyriacou on behalf of Slough Borough Council's Senior H&S Adviser, Victoria Swift. This is for the attention of the all schools.
We have been made aware that some schools are using this product on food contact surfaces.
For those schools that use Bowak Jangro disinfectant please be aware that it is not suitable for food contact surfaces. This is detailed on the product label (see the picture at the bottom of the page.) It can be used for other areas within the school, but not where food is being consumed. This is because it is classified as harmful if swallowed and ingestion may cause irritation of the gastro-intestinal tact.
In addition to this alert there are further precautions outlined in their risk assessment which are the following:
- Store containers in your store room immediately
- Always keep bottles in your locked cleaning cupboard
- Store in a cool, dry, well ventilated space
- Keep away from oxidising material
- Always restrict access
- Store containers with labels facing forwards
- Use the oldest stock first
- Regularly check to ensure containers are not damaged
- Always store in its original container
- Handle the spray with care
- Always clean up any spillages
- Return the bottle to the store when not in use
- Read the manufacturers instructions before use
- Ensure operatives know where their first aid facilities and personnel are located
- Wash the container with plenty of water
- Do not store any other material in the container
- Ensure the product is exhausted before disposal
If you are using this product for food contact surfaces, please stop this practice immediately and replace with a safer alternatively.
If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Corporate Health and Safety Department on 01753 875046 or alternatively send an email to HealthandSafety@slough.gov.uk.
Health and Safety Team:
H&S inbox | firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 01753 875742 or 01753 875046
Bhavini Ranu | Bhavini.Ranu@slough.gov.uk
Vicki Swift | Victoria.email@example.com
Gina Watson | Georgina.Watson@slough.gov.uk
Shameem Din | Shameem.firstname.lastname@example.org